Skip to main content

What I'm Doing In Greece 10-12

Day 10: 29 May O/N FERRY HD tour: Meteora. Drive Piraeus via Thermopylae. Ferry
This morning we depart the hotel on a half day tour to visit the Monasteries of Meteora. In the afternoon we drive to Athens via Thermopylae. Meteora is one of the largest and most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox Monasteries in Greece, second only to Mount Athos. The monasteries are built on natural sandstone rock pillars at the north-western edge of the Plain of Thessaly. This morning we visit several monasteries (usually 3 in total; periodic closures determine which ones we visit), including the Metamorphosis (Grand Meteora), built on the highest rock at 613m (2,030 ft.). Its striking series of frescoes depict the persecution of Christians by the Romans. We then visit two other monasteries (depends on which are accessible on the day). After our monastery visits, we pick up our bags from the hotel and depart for Athens, stopping to visit Thermopylae, en route. It was at Thermopylae where the great historical battle between the Spartan King Leonidas, the ultimate soldier-king, and the huge army of Persians, took place. After our tour we drive to the port of Athens at Piraeus, and catch the overnight ferry to the island of Crete. Overnight ferry QUAD BERTHS Meal plan: breakfast, lunch



Day 11: 30 May CRETE Full day tour: Heraklion Museum, Venetian Fortress, Knossos Palace
On arrival by ferry in Heraklion, we are met and transferred to the hotel. After dropping our bags, we depart on our full day tour of Crete. We first visit the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion (2.5 hours), which contains a vast collection of relics discovered in Knossos, Phaestos, Zakros, Archanes and other sites around Crete. Of particular note are the Phaestos Disc, classic Hellenic and Roman sculptures, frescoes, jewelry, wall-paintings and pottery and the world's most comprehensive collection of artefacts from the Minoan civilization. We start early in the morning to avoid the many visitors who tend to arrive late morning. After our visit we re-board our vehicle, briefly visit the 16th century Koules Venetian Fortress, built on the harbor walls, where we enjoy views of the harbor from the roof and visit its restored interior. We then take lunch in a local taverna. In the afternoon we drive to the mighty ruins of Knossos, located in a picturesque river valley close to the city (20-minute drive). Knossos was the political, economic and religious center of the Minoan Civilization which flourished for several hundred years from around 1,600 BCE. From Knossos came the legend of the labyrinth – a mythological half-man half-bull monster kept by the king in an underground labyrinth whom Thesius, son of the king of Athens - then a tribute slave to Minoan bull dancing, slew (a legend which dates back to 2000 BCE). The palace was built around 1900 BCE and frequently rebuilt and restored over the next three centuries before being finally destroyed by fire and abandoned. We spend the afternoon hours exploring this most impressive of ruins. The site was discovered, excavated and partially reconstructed in the early 1900s by British archaeologist Sir Arthur Evans, who spent 35 years uncovering and reconstructing the 1,000-room palace with its sophisticated drainage systems – including a flush toilet, and its beautiful plaster and frescoes.  After our visit we return to the hotel and complete our check in. Dinner is served in the hotel. Overnight (3 star plus) Hotel Olympic (or similar) Meal plan: breakfast, restaurant lunch, hotel dinner





Day 12: 31 May CRETE Half day walking tour: Old Town, Historical Mus. Afternoon free
This morning we depart on our half day tour of Crete to explore the Old Town on foot with our guide and visit the Historical Museum of Heraklion, which presents the city’s long history in an educational format designed to assist students, and displays an eclectic and fascinating selection of artifacts and art work. After our tour we take lunch in a local restaurant, then return to the hotel. The afternoon is at leisure. In the evening we have dinner at the hotel. Overnight (3 star plus) Hotel Olympic (or similar) Meal plan: breakfast, restaurant lunch, hotel dinner




Instagram: @dejanirareads  & @dejaniradawn
Twitter: @dejaniradawn
Email: dejaniradawn@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranked as a Top Reviewer?!

Guys! It just popped up that I'm #166 top reviewers on Goodreads! That's great, isn't it?! I know it's only 166 but still, to be even ranked is amazing! Look! Here is my  Goodreads  account, just click the link! <3

Janurauy Wrap Up

Hey everyone! ( γεια σε όλους ! ) January  seemed to go on forever, right? I manged to read six books! So i reread my last blog post about reading and I noticed I didn't complete any of those to read or currently reading. Whoops? That's besides the point because i'm almost finished with those books now! I've listened to a few books last month so those are included in the six! If you're not aware, I made a book club on Goodreads (Just Another Book Club) and the current book of the month is Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I have had this book for years and I have been wanting to pick it up so i'm glad we are reading this! I'm also reading a book for my college English class that I won't finish this month due to the fact she wants us to read it all together. Read : Percy Jackson and the Singer of Apollo  by Rick Riordan (e-book) Knight of the Word  by Terry Brooks (audio book/physical)  Ilse Witch  by Terry Brooks (audio book/ physical) Angel Fi

Reading Goals for 2018

Hey everyone! ( γεια σε όλους ! [gotta practice that Greek])  I haven't written about books in awhile mainly about how i'm going to Greece in the spring. Last year I read 44 books out of my goal of 40, which is surprising because I took about 2 months of not reading anything due to the end of the semester and working. In September when I started driving back and forth to college again, instead of listening to music, I decided to listen to books. Audible really helped me get out of my book lump and I've read 10 books in 3 months and two weeks of driving back and forth. I would also listen to the books during the weekend when I was cleaning my room or if I had to drive somewhere. On Goodreads, I wanted to clean up my selves a bit, so I created a new shelf "own not read" and I marked all the books I currently own( e-books and physical) instead of marking them as "to read". I currently have 239 physical books, minus a few textbooks from college, most